Pronunciation: am-LOE- di peen
Brand names available:
1) Stamlo ( Dr. Reddy’s)
2) Vamlo ( Ranbaxy (stancare))
3) Emadine (Merck)
Common uses of amlodipine:
Amlodipine is belongs to group of drugs called calcium channel blockers.
It is used in the treatment of
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Chest pain (Angina).
How to use amlodipine:
Amlodipine should be taken as prescribed by doctor. It should be taken with glass full of water, with or without food. The drug should not be taken in over dosage or in large amounts or longer then the prescribed duration.
What should I discuss with my doctor or pharmacist before taking amlodipine
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any prescription or OTC medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are having heart, kidney problems or low blood pressure.
- Amlodipine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. If you are planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding pl. make sure that you notify to your health expert.
What is the Dosage and what about if I miss the dose:
As a besilate form initially amlodipine is given 5mg once daily and increased to 10mg once daily if required.
In elderly patients initially it is given 2.5 mg once daily and increased to more if required.
Maximum dose in any patient is 10 mg once daily.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
Side effects and when to consult the health expert:
Side effects: Dizziness, nausea, head ache, fainting and muscle cramps.
When to consult the health expert:
There is a chance that the severity of these side effects increases with the physical activity or in hot weather conditions or if you are with the fever. In this case consult your doctor immediately.
Storage information for amlodipine:
Store amlodipine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom. Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any left over portion is disposed off safely.
- Amlodipine may cause drowsiness. Caution is advised when you sit or stand up from lying position especially when you wake up during the night or early morning.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.